The open excavation of the Kaitaa access tunnel will begin in the week beginning on 13 April. Blasting for open excavation will be announced by a series of short signals before the blast and a long signal afterwards. The open excavation will be carried out behind a sheet pile wall. The walkway will be closed at the access tunnel for the duration of blasting.
After open excavation, the work will continue underground on building the tunnel around May 2015. The excavation work for the access tunnel will continue until October 2015.
After the access tunnel project, a rail tunnel and metro station site will be excavated. During both work phases, excavated rock will be taken to Länsiväylä and further afield for use in other construction projects. Haulage will be based on the blasting times. Blasting will occur 1–3 times a day.
Working hours at the site, as determined by the Finnish Environment Institute, are as follows:
Earthwork and excavation work
• Mon–Fri 7.00–18.00 (quiet work also between 18.00–22.00, Sat 9.00–18.00)
Tunnel excavation (grout hole drilling, drilling, scaling)
• Mon–Fri 7.00–18.00 (quiet work also between 18.00–7.00)
Blasting in tunnel
• Mon–Fri 7.00–22.00 and Sat 9.00–18.00
Loading of excavated rock and transportation
• Mon–Fri 7.00–22.00 and weekends 9.00–22.00
• If the work causes no inconvenience to residents, it will also be carried out Mon–Fri 22.00–7.00 and weekends 22.00–9.00
We apologise for any disturbance caused by the work.
Worksite hotline Destia Oy, tel. +358 40 637 5377
Site Manager Mari Borén, Destia Oy, mari.boren(at)destia.fi
Länsimetro feedback phone number (Mon–Fri 9 a.m.-3 p.m.), tel. +358 50 377 3700