The main themes of the station are the sea and water. The station will serve two districts, Lauttasaari and the future Koivusaari district. The Koivusaari station is built underwater, south of the Länsiväylä motorway between Lauttasaari and Koivusaari. Koivusaari is the world’s only metro station located under the sea.
- The station’s street address is Sotkatie 11.
- The entrance on the Koivusaari side will be opened later.
- Daily passengers: 3,000 (Strafica estimate in 2015 for the year 2025.)
- At 76.1 metres in total length, the escalator from the platform area to the ticket hall is the longest in Finland.
- The ceiling of the main entrance is reminiscent of an upturned wooden vessel. In line with the marine theme, the area between the yard and building includes beach pebbles and grass, and the station platform is shaped after the baleen of a whale.
- The station was designed by Helin & Co Architects.
Further information on the Koivusaari district can be found on the City of Helsinki website: